We’re at that time of the week again. Time for the Perks of Being a Bookseller.
For this week’s post I received a bunch of books. Which is great because I didn’t go to BEA, and I still acquired two of the three books that I wanted to get in New York – Unbreakable
by Kami Garcia
and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
by Holly Black. And I am thoroughly geeked for both. I just need to finish up the books I am already reading.
…And if Houghton Mifflin wants to send me Independent Study
by Joelle Charbonneau
, I won’t stop you. That was the third book I wanted to find at BEA and I know it was there. Other blogger photos do not lie.
In the interim, here’s what did wander through my door.
– Simon and Schuster UPS box –
– … and the contents of the S & S box –
– Mwaww! Harpercollins sent me a Yukicat! –
– Other Harpercollin goodies –
– …yet more Harpercollins finals… and the newest (and final) Nicole Peeler Jane True book, which I bought –
– Pet grass for the Yukicat… which the Beekeeper bought. And various finals that came in through the store –
There’s a lot of New Adult wandering in and out of my life right now. It’s okay, because I’ve been trying my damnedest to read multiple books at one time. One of the books I keep going is a junk book, something fun to read when the others are too complicated. Lately those junk books have been the Sookie Stackhouse books, but they’re running out. And I’ll need something else… and, sadly, as much as I hate to admit this New Adult seems to fill the junk void… and yes, I am aware that content wise that comment did not come out right.
There’s just no way to make that not sound dirty. Especially in the context of talking about New Adult. Oh well, onto other things.
There’s a really cool writing thing going on in mid-Michigan this summer – the Young Authors’ Conferences at MSU. For any intrepid young writers (grades 5 through 12) this conference is for you! If you dream of becoming a writer, and want an opportunity to meet people who work in the field, go and check out the info. Events include book readings and signings, workshops on writing and style, classes, and story critiques. Invited authors include Merrie Haskell, Jim C. Hines, and Mary Robinette Kowal. For any parents and adults who have or know a child or children who are interested in writing, here is the relevant information that you will need to know about the conference. It’s a neat thing. And you should go if you are from Michigan.
I have not been walking much this week. My left ankle and arch has been acting up and the swelling hasn’t gone down enough yet to be comfortable on a hike. Which bums me out. This week has been bad on my reading. My time has been taken up by “all things Wedding” and it just got away from me. I’m still working on a few books, but I am hoping to finish them by the end of the weekend. I really want to start the new Holly Black.
And, as a final topic I want to share something cool. In a few weeks time I will be at a different location. I have registered a domain under my name and I have a web hosting company working on my new blog as we speak. It will still be this blog *gestures wildly around* but new and improved, and at another site. And I am really excited about it.
You will be able to find me at:
It’s currently only a place holder, but that won’t be for long. I wanted to give you all a heads up so that you will know if you try to return here to find me and I am no longer about. I’m not going away, I’m just moving my belongings and my books to a new home… all 2000+ of them.
And I still intend to read all of them. Dammit!
I think that’s it. What are you reading folks? What are you most looking forward to read? What did you acquire this week?
Keep watching for the new site.
Perks 21: May 27 – June 3, 2013
- The Whatnot – Stefan Bachmann. Advanced reader copy.
- Jump Shot – Tiki and Ronde Barber. Advanced reader copy.
- The Coldest Girl in Coldtown – Holly Black. Advanced reader copy.
- Replica – Jenna Black. Advanced reader copy.
- Red Rising – Pierce Brown. Advanced reader copy.
- Raids and Rescues – Bryan Chick. Advanced reader copy.
- Resist – Sarah Crossan. Advanced reader copy.
- The Lord of Opium – Nancy Farmer. Advanced reader copy.
- Unbreakable – Kami Garcia. Advanced reader copy.
- Fire with Fire – Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian. Advanced reader copy.
- This Girl – Colleen Hoover. Advanced reader copy.
- Anna Was Here – Jane Kurtz. Advanced reader copy.
- Alex – Pierre Lemaitre. Advanced reader copy.
- Fire and Ash – Jonathan Maberry. Advanced reader copy.
- Desert Tales – Melissa Marr. Advanced reader copy.
- September Girls – Bennett Madison. Final hardcover format.
- Five Kingdoms: Sky Raiders – Brandon Mull. Advanced reader copy.
- Tempest Reborn – Nicole Peeler. Final mass market paperback. Bought.
- This is W.A.R. – Lisa and Laura Roecker. Advanced reader copy.
- Fangirl – Rainbow Rowell. Advanced reader copy.
- The Beginning of Everything – Robyn Schneider. Advanced reader copy.
- To Be Perfectly Hones – Sonya Sones. Advanced reader copy.
- Rock and a Hard Place – Angie Stanton. Advanced reader copy.
- Snapshot – Angie Stanton. Advanced reader copy.
- Desmond Pucket: Makes Monster Magic – Mark Tatuli. Advanced reader copy.
- Ten Tiny Breaths – K.A. Tucker. Advanced reader copy.
- Earthfall – Mark Walden. Advanced reader copy.
- Transparent – Natalie Whipple. Final quality paperback.
- Once We Were – Kat Zhang. Advanced reader copy.